This recipe called itself a Cherry Cake but it is the weirdest recipe for a cake that I have EVER seen. The results however, are delish, as reported by my official recipe tester! 🙂 I have to admit that I questioned the recipe but it really does work….just do what it says. And oh yes, forget about counting calories….it starts with a stick of butter so you know it’s bad. Just don’t make this every week, no matter how fast and easy this is. Sigh.
Cherry Cake Time: 10 minutes prep/ 60 minutes to cook Serves: 9 generous servings
8 T (1 stick) butter, melted
1- 14.5 oz. can sour or tart cherries, drained
1 cup plus 1 T. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 T. baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour melted butter into a 9″ x 9″ baking dish OR do what i did- I melted the butter in the microwave in the baking dish covered with a piece of wax paper.
2. In a small bowl, mix the drained sour cherries, 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 T of the flour till the dry ingredients are well incorporated. (Will be sort of sloshy.)
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl- flour, remaining 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder (Yes, one entire Tablespoon!), and the salt. Hit it with a wire whip so the ingredients are well dispersed. In a medium glass measuring cup, measure out the 3/4 cup of milk (can substitute rice milk, if you like) and the vanilla extract, mix well and pour into the dry ingredients. Take the wire whip and mix well. The batter will be somewhat runny. I added 2 tablespoons of orange juice as I also added 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds to the dry ingredients which always makes a mix much more thick.
4. Pour the batter over the melted butter and do NOT try to mix it in. Just pour it on and the butter will run to the top. This is normal. Drop the cherries on to the top of the batter/butter. Yes, just spoon them onto the top evenly…plop, plop, plop.
5. Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the cake is golden brown on top and just firm to the touch. The cherries will sink to the bottom and the butter will incorporate into the batter. It’s weird, but it works!
Fat: 12 g
CHO: 56 g
Pro: 3 g